One of the main SS officer cadet training academies (Junkerschule) was at Bad Tölz in the mountains of southern Bavaria. The Bad Tölz Junkerschule was taken over by the U.S. Army in 1945 and served various functions, including as a Division headquarters, Special Forces barracks, and NCO Academy. After the Americans moved out ca. 1995, the buildings stood vacant for several years, but have recently been remodeled into a shopping area. This remodeling included removal of the famous entrance archway, as well as most of the buildings beyond the main quadrangle.