Hindenburg Kaserne was built in Bad Kreuznach in 1938. The main buildings had decorative slate work over the roof windows featuring eagles with swastikas, crosses, swords, and coats of arms (see more here). The complex was occupied by the U.S. Army in March 1945, but then turned over to the French Army. The U.S. Army again took the Kaserne over in 1951, renaming it Rose Barracks in honor of Maj. Gen. Maurice Rose, commander of the 3rd Armored Division, killed in World War II (the Kaserne in Vilseck is also named for Gen. Rose). The Kaserne was turned back over to German control during the drawdown of U.S. forces in Germany in the mid-1990s.