I’m often asked if goulash is Hungarian or German. The answer?… I say well I am german, so I only know the recipe we have at home. Our family coming from Berlin, Germany EVERYTHING IS SERVED WITH POTATOS .. IF WE ARE NOT EATING POTATOS ON ITS OWN … ( THAT IS ANOTHER RECIPE PATERSILLIE KARTOFFELN.. OR PARSLEY POTATOS ) …
AS FOR THE GOULASCH
The Hungarian recipes usually have potatoes in them, but the German usually doesn’t.
We, Germans, often served with them with the potatoes on the side or even just bread or buns to dip into the amazing gravy-like broth.
Ingredients German Goulash Soup
1,5 kg stew meat (pork and beef mix or just beef)
1 kg potatoes
2 small cans kidney beans (optional)
4-6 tbsp tomato puree (from can or tube)
2 red pepper, 2-3 garlic gloves
1-2 celery stalks sliced, 1/4 celery root cut in cubes, 1 carrot sliced
4 l beef broth
1-2 cups red wine or to taste (optional)
some clarified butter
Spices: salt, black pepper, sweet and mild paprika powder (at least 2-3 tbsp), caraway seeds (optional), Worcester sauce (optional)
1-2 bay leaves
1-2 tbsp tomato paste or concentrate
heavy cream (1-4 tbsp) (optional)
flour (1-2 tsp)
Cooking Instructions German Goulash Soup
– Cut the meat in small pieces; chop onions and garlic gloves; wash and chop the soup greenery in smaller pieces.
– In a big pot melt butter or ghee, add the onions and garlic, fry them briefly, then add meat and after 1 minute the soup greenery, all on high heat until the pores of the meat are closed.
– Powder flour over it; add the tomato puree, and red wine plus the beef broth.
– Let it boil on low heat for 1-2 hours or even longer depending on the meat quality (the meat has to be very tender and soft).
– Peel potatoes and cut them in small cubes; red pepper as well.
– Add potatoes, pepper, and bay leave 15 minutes before the soup is done.
– Wash kidney beans and add them to the soup (5 minutes before it is done).
– Add spices; if the soup is too thick add more broth; if the soup is too thin add more tomato puree;
– Optional: add heavy cream at the end.
– Remove the bay leaves.
Serve with baguette bread.